How to get GRAMPS (Ver 0.8.1) Working on
(Genealogical Research and Analysis Management
- I suggest that you do apt-get upgrade in a terminal sesion
first to get the latest Debian programs.
- Go to
- Download gramps-0.8.1.tar.gz (1.491 Gb) (On the next page pick
a download site.) Choose Open using ark. Extract all files to a
directory. Under that directory a gramps-0.8.1 directory will be created
with the files in it.
- Use Click-n-Run or apt-get in a terminal session to
install the following: G++2.95, Python2.2, python-gnome,
python-xml, python-glade, scrollkeeper, make .
- Try CnR first; if the needed program is not there use
apt-get install <progname> in a terminal session.
- There may be some other programs you will have to install with
apt-get. You will be told if a program is missing when you run the
- Edit the configure file in the gramps-0.8.1 directory
as follows: Change line 1624 to put a # in front of "sv to
comment it out. (This line is for different languages, but apparently the files
needed to install them are not available in the download.)
- Now, in a terminal session, move to the gramps-0.8.1 directory
and type ./configure . You may see an error gnome-config: command not
found, but it does not stop configure from working.
- Then type make .
- Then type make install .
- Then, to run GRAMPS, type gramps .
- You may want to create a desktop icon for gramps: The program is
stored in the /usr/local/bin directory. Go to that directory in file
manager and drag the gramps program to the desktop and chose Link Here .
- The manual for GRAMPS is in the doc directory under the
gramps-0.8.1 directory or at
- There are some problems in creating reports in GRAMPS.
- I was helped in doing this by J. D. Ross.