Genealogy Using a Computer and the Internet
(Outline of the Tutorial)
This is a hands-on tutorial. An extensive on-line
document (http:www.roperld.com/gencompint.htm) includes much more than can
be covered in the tutorial, so that you can have materials to use in the future.
There are many links in the tutorial to lead to these materials.
Topics included in the course are:
- Minimum old computer needed to do genealogy for the short term.
- Minimum new computer to buy to do genealogy for the long term.
- Recommendations for computer operating system and devices.
- Recommended software for genealogy.
- Recommended CD-ROMs
with genealogical data on them.
Back Up Your Data:
- Hardware needed
Genealogy and Privacy
Authenticity of Genealogy
about Collecting Data
Genealogy Data for
Experience needed to benefit from this tutorial:
- Some experience doing genealogy. This is not a tutorial about how to do
- Some experience in using the Windows 95/98/2000 operating systems (not
Macintosh). This is not a
tutorial about using computers.
- Some experience in using the Internet. This is not a tutorial about using