Trochanteric Bursitis

L. David Roper
March 2009

In the middle of March 2009 I started having dull aches in my right hip. My physician investigated and concluded that I have bursitis, inflamation of a bursa (small container of synovial fluid).

Hip bursitis is called trochanteric bursitis.

I was given a cortisone shot in the hip. It did not help much. I have put ice packs on it, but the condition persists. I have taken Ibuprofen and Aleve.

Some trochanteric bursitis do not respond to cortisone, ice treatment or anti-inflammation drugs. This is calle chronic recalcitrant trochanteric bursitis. Then bursectomy is done. Arthroscopic bursectomy appears to be a good way to have a bursectomy.